Walk-ins Welcome or Call/Book Online for a 1 Hour Appointment
Kingston's Premiere Smartphone, Tablet, and Mac Repair Shop!
Apple iOS 8 update
Older Apple products often don’t run as smoothly as their next-generation relatives, although Apple is now taking steps to make them run more smoothly. Apple has just released iOS 8.1.1 to improve the performance of older iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.
The update is intended to prolong the life of devices released in 2011 by making the newest version of the company’s mobile operating system available on those devices.
Because the older devices have weaker processors, the hardware-intensive update does not run as smoothly as it does on newer, more powerful devices. The release comes nearly a month after iOS 8.1 and focuses on fixing bugs and enhancing performance on older devices such as iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Update notes specify that the release, “includes bug fixes, increased stability and performance improvements for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.” Some older Apple devices can technically run iOS 8 but the device doesn’t always perform well after the update, with animations and loading times being more finicky than they were with iOS 7.
Some iOS update details:
- Quick reply to notifications. You can reply to iMessage or Text notifications without leaving an active app.
- There is a new health app which collects data from various health & fitness apps and shows it all in one convenient hub.
- New keyboard with better predictive text options.
- Messaging features. For example you can share locations, and send voice messages with just one tap.
iOS 8.1.1 is free and available now. To get it for your device go to the settings menu, tap “General” and then “Software Update” and your download should start automatically.
You can also find the firmware files online and download them directly.
iOS 8.1.1 is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen., iPad 4th gen., iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display
- iPod Touch 5G
If you are a jailbreaker you should avoid this update because Apple has fixed an exploit used by Pangu jailbreak, so the Pangu jailbreak won’t work with the 8.1.1 update. Along with the iOS 8 update, Apple released an update for Yosemite, an operating system update for MacBook and Mac computers which is also available now.